Sunday, August 28, 2016

College

Hello!

So, I have officially started college! Wow, that's going to take some getting used to! A lot of things have happened in the 3 days I've been here. There have been awesome times and hard times. Such a drastic change in your life is such a crazy feeling, something that you really don't understand (and honestly, can't) until you have experienced it face-to-face. The feeling of being alone and yet over stimulated simultaneously is not describable. It's hard, but it's not impossible.  While I'm writing this, God is actively reminding me that He's with me. That He is protecting me. That He has me exactly where He wants me. In my earbuds I can hear Him reminding me that He's "my shelter through the storm" and "my peace when waves of trouble roll." He is my refuge. No matter how far I am from where I'm comfortable, He's still with me and He is still protecting me.

Now, let me tell you about my first weekend at college!

I got here Friday morning, and the emotions were hot. I was terrified that my roommates were not going to like me, or were not going to be as excited to be friends as I was. That first introduction period was awkward, as expected. It took awhile for us to really open up to each other. We attended the dedication chapel of our freshman class Friday evening. Friday night I got to be a part of my first TU tradition (Taylor is all about the crazy traditions. Google "TU Silent Night.") My floor and our Brother Floor went on an Awk-walk. An Awkward Walk. The name says it all. We walked in two lines, girls in one line, guys in the other. As we walked, we were given an action to do and a question to ask each other. After every question we switched partners and continued on with a new action and question. The actions were anywhere from holding hand and interlocking fingers, to walking with our foreheads put together. I think my favorite question would probably be "What famous person would you least want to be siamese twins with?". I of course said Ryan Lochte! My partner said Obama. ;) The Awk walk is a great way to meet new people and start to break away your shell a little! It was so fun.

Saturday we got to spend our last bit of time with our families before they had to leave. That time was great. They left after lunch, and then we spent time with our O Groups, or Orientation groups. We get to spend time every week for the first half of the semester with these groups to just talk about our transition and learn with each other about our God. I got randomly chosen, along with about 50 other students to take a test on student proficiency. It reminded me of the ACT. At least it was only 40 minutes in all and we got rewarded with candy! ;) Later Saturday we had a back-to-school party with the whole campus next to the lake. It was such a great way to meet new people and break a little bit more of our shell away. It was so fun, but so sweaty as it's been a steady 85 degrees with 90% humidity all weekend! Lot's of dancing, lots of talking, laughing and little worries!

Today is Sunday, and we had a back-to-school chapel for church this morning, we'll go to a local church from now on. We spent more time with our O groups and  we'll be going to Communion this evening.

So, as you can see, this weekend has been packed. I'm looking forward to starting classes on Tuesday, and I am loving all the craziness!

Love,
Megan

1 comment: